Sept. 27. 1847 – The constitution was adopted for the Republic of Liberia under the auspices of The American Colonization Society, who had sponsored a group of Americo-Liberians – men of color – that had come to this country in 1822. Prior to that West Africa had become known as the “white missionaries graveyard” as the graves of those who had been swallowed up by malaria and other diseases that the “Dark Continent” had seemed waiting for them attested. But the Black preachers, freedmen from America, thrived and not only were received by the natives, but established thriving churches as well. They were men like Lott Carey, who is known as the “Father of Western African Missions”, and Collin Teague. Others such as David George went on to minister in Freetown in 1792, the Capitol of Sierra Leone, the British Crown Colony. These men were a part of the fifty Black missionaries sent out from the converts of George Leile, a freed slave, who left America in 1783 and established a Baptist church in Jamaica, ten years before William Carey went to India. Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather [1Co 7:21]. [“Sierra Leone,” Microsoft Encarta 97 Encyclopedia. 1993-96 Midrosoft Corp.
Dr. Greg J. Dixon: adapted from: This Day in Baptist History II: Cummins and Thompson, pp. 529-31.