A Faithful Church
First Baptist Church of Cordele, Georgia was established on April 14, 1889. The church started on that same day with 23 individuals meeting together and Reverend R.B. Taylor being called as the first pastor. The church met together to worship in a building that had been erected on the northwest corner of 14th avenue and 7th street. In just a few short years, the church had grown to 145 members. By 1914, the church had moved into a building that was built on the northeast corner of 6th street and 13th avenue. This is the site where the church still stands today. The church saw a steady increase in membership, reaching 1,000 enrolled by 1920, due to the dedication of all members and their commitment to share the love of Christ with others. In 1989, we celebrated our 100th anniversary of service to the people of Cordele-Crisp County.
From the beginning, First Baptist Church of Cordele has been committed to sharing the love of Christ with the people of Cordele-Crisp County, the state of Georgia, the United States, and all corners of the world. This body of believers has always been mission minded.
Dr. Dale R. Hart adapted from: “This Day in Baptist History III” David L. Cummins. pp. 215 – 218.